Friday, November 5, 2010

Popcorn Hour C-200

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm the owner of a Popcorn Hour C-200 media player. You hook it up to your television and then store your video and audio files on a hard drive (either in the internal drive bay or via USB) or stream them across your network.  I've owned it for over a year now and I don't know what I would do without it. It plays almost any media file I throw at it. A lot of media players claim to be able to play a lot of different types of files, but the Popcorn Hour C-200 is one of the few that actually live up to that promise. The manufacturer also seems to be doing a decent job of releasing firmware updates to fix bugs and add new features. When the unit was first released, the firmware was quite buggy and a lot of people were initially disappointed. As an owner of one of the first batch released I can attest to this. However, since then several firmware updates have fixed most of the issues and the unit should not be overlooked because of some early problems. There is also a lively forum where users are quite willing to help each other and several employees of the company can be found there as well.

I have over 600 dvds and managing that many dvds can be a bit of a pain. The nice thing about the Popcorn Hour C-200 is it will play DVD images (either ISO or video_ts format). What that means is I can dump all of my DVDs onto hard drives and play them on my C-200. Now when I want to watch a DVD, instead of fumbling around looking for the disk, I just turn on my C-200, select the file I want and it starts playing just as if I had popped the disc into a normal dvd player with menus and everything. Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment